Several University of Richmond graduates in education at the undergraduate and graduate levels have been recognized for service and excellence.
Mindy Guyer, GC’15, was named the 2016 recipient of the Chris Corallo Distinguished Leadership Award by Henrico County Public Schools. Guyer earned a post-master's graduate certificate in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies through the School of Professional and Continuing Studies. Guyer has also been named an assistant principal at Godwin High School in Henrico County. Chris Corallo, in honor of whose memory the award in named, served as an adjunct professor for SPCS.
Nicole Hood, GC’15, has been named Director of Programs and Partnerships for all schools of the University of Chicago Lab Schools in Chicago. Hood earned a post-master's graduate certificate in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies through SPCS.
Lara Curry, GC’09, was named the Douglas Southall Freeman High School Teacher of the Year, and Emma Hines, ’11, was named the Jacob L. Adams Elementary School Teacher of the Year. Both schools are in Henrico County. As building-level teachers of the year, both teachers were eligible for the Henrico County Public Schools Gilman Teacher of the Year award.
In addition, the following Richmond graduates were named building-level First-Year Teachers of the Year in their Henrico County schools.
- Phillip Patrick, GC’16, at Deep Run High School
- Jacob Earle, ’15, at Godwin High School
- Jessica Allen, GC’15, at Holladay Elementary School
- Amalia Kobelja, ’14, at Hungary Creek Middle School
- Lindsay Teague, GC’15, at Longan Elementary School
- Colleen B. Cassada, GC’15, at Moody Middle School
- Sara Coleman, ’14, at Ridge Elementary School
- Cristina Mansilla, GC’12, at Seven Pines Elementary School
Several graduates of the Educational Leadership & Policy Studies (ELPS) graduate program have earned promotions in their local school divisions.
- Tiffany Farmer, GC’16, was recently appointed the new Assistant Principal at Patrick Copeland Elementary School in Hopewell City Public Schools.
- Emily Pytlik, GC’15, was promoted to Assistant Principal at Salem Church Elementary School in Chesterfield County Public Schools.
- Jennifer Rhoden, GC’14, has been hired as Associate Principal at Maude Trevvett Elementary School in Henrico County Public Schools.
- Valenta Wade, GC’16, is the newly appointed Manager of Testing and Data for Richmond Public Schools.