History department hosting pair of lectures
January 21, 2011
The Department of History at the University of Richmond will host a pair of lectures March 3 and 22, with topics ranging from the Founding Fathers to the early crusade movement.
Both lectures are free and open to the public. For directions to campus and campus map go to: http://www.richmond.edu/visit/directions.html
The Age of Experiments in Government
The first lecture, one of a long-standing series funded by the Society of Cincinnati in Virginia, features R.B. Bernstein, distinguished adjunct professor of law at New York Law School. Author of “The Founding Fathers Reconsidered,” “Thomas Jefferson,” and “Are We To Be a Nation: The Making of the Constitution,” Bernstein will present “The Age of Experiments in Government” March 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the Brown Alley Room, Weinstein Hall.
The Society of Cincinnati was founded by 1783 by a group of Revolutionary officers, with George Washington as its first president.
Why Did the First Crusade Make Such a Good Story
The second lecture, made possible by endowment income from the Helen G. Stafford Fund, features Marcus Bull, the Andrew W. Mellon Distinguished Professor of Medieval and Early Modern Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Until 2010, Bull was professor of medieval history at the University of Bristol in the UK. His lecture, “Why Did the First Crusade Make Such a Good Story,” will be March 22 at 7:30 p.m. in Jepson Hall, Room 118.
Bull has published on the early crusade movement, pilgrimage and miracle stories, and aspects of ecclesiastical history. Recently his research has turned to the editing of historical texts and to narratology, specifically in its relation to twelfth-century historiographical narratives. He is also interested in the reception of the pre-modern past in modern culture.
This lecture is made possible by endowment income from the Helen G. Stafford Fund, honoring the memory of Stafford, a prominent historian of England who served as chair of the Westhampton College History Department from 1948 to 1958.